Monday, May 23, 2016

Connected


“You can touch everything and be connected to nothing.” 
― Mitch AlbomHave a Little Faith: a True Story


To be a social media user is to delude oneself as to your degree of connection.  Social media may allow you to form and develop on-line relationships, yet the depth of such relationships is often shallow.   "Friends" in the digital realm can be people you've never eyeballed in the flesh.



There is another form of connection that pre-dates social media.  It is a form that is sadly neglected. 



Mitch Albom in a book "Have a Little Faith: a True Story" identifies a form of connection that transcends space and time.  Read carefully as Albom illustrates connection in a form that few understand. The illustration comes from Albom's observance of the ritualised life of an elderly Rabbi.  The Rabbi sticks to a pattern of prayer, study, charity and custom:


Rabbi: "My grandparents did these things.  My parents, too.  
If I take the pattern and throw it out, what does that say about their lives?
 Or mine?  From generation to generation, these rituals are how we remain..."

He rolled his hands, searching for the word.

Albom: "Connected? I said

Rabbi: "Ah", He smiled at me. "Connected"   

Prefer connections that hold through time rather that transient digital links.  To the Christian, Christ provides abundant connections.

Shalom,
Ozhamada

1 comment:

  1. This is certainly not always the case. I have the equivilent of a pre-natal mothers group that met on a baby info online message board 19 years years ago. I had never met any of these women face to face. Of the original 16 or 17, 13 of us are still connected daily by social media. We have shared conception, pregnancy, birth, parenting and relationships but have grown together and have shared in marriages, divorces, child suicides, death and illnesses. I consider all these ladies my friends and confidants and have absolutely no fear or concern trusting these ladies and consider them to be some of my closest friends.

    You may remember I finally met 2 of them last year and there was not a second of awkwardness between us, we were like sisters that had just been separated for a time.

    In today's changing world I think it is foolish to consider all social media supported relationships have no depth.

    ReplyDelete